All conference events will take place in the Commons and Bartlett Hall, labeled 11 and 12 on the campus map.
Find parking across 23rd Street in the Multimodal Transportation Center.
(Please note that if you use the Multimodal Transportation Center on Friday, you will need to pay the hourly rate.
Pay stations can be found adjacent to stair wells on 23rd Street.)
Friday April 19
2:30 - 3:30
Conference Registration Table Open
3:30 - 5:00
Welcome Event Unveiling the New NAR
and the Open Space of Democracy Poster Exhibit
7:30 - 9:00
An Evening with Terry Tempest Williams
Reception and Book Signing to follow
Lang Hall Auditorium
Saturday April 20
7:30 - 5:00
Conference Sign-in, Poster Exhibit, Bookfair
8:00 - 11:30
NAR Archive Pop-Up Exhibit
outside Commons Ballroom
8:00 - 11:00
8:45 - 9:45
The Open Space of Democracy: The Challenge to Writers and Artists
Taylor Brorby, Martín Espada, Sophfronia Scott, Terry Tempest Williams
10:00 - 11:00
Nina Murray, Director of Arts Envoy Program
"Cultural Diplomacy: What can the State Department do for you?"
Kij Johnson, Workshop
"The Hustle: Pursuing a Book Deal and Learning to Promote Yourself and Your Writing"
Lauren Schmidt, Multigenre Reading
Filthy Labors (Poetry) and The Players (Young Adult Fiction)
Georgian Lounge Porch
11:15 - 12:15
Kij Johnson, Reading
"What Do You See Now?: Reflection in Creative Nonfiction."
"Netprov: Collaborative, Improvised Storytelling"
12:00 - 3:00
12:30 - 1:30
Bullets into Bells: Poets and Citizens Respond to Gun Violence
Brian Clements, Dean Rader, Debra Marquart, Martín Espada, Khary Pennebaker, Katie Bewyer Albrecht, Joe Gorton
Workshop: Write A Novel in A Month As Part of National Novel Writing Months
1:45 - 2:45
"Jumping Off the Mystic Tobin Bridge: A Poetry Reading"
Georgian Lounge Porch
Joyelle McSweeney, Workshop
“Writing (and Reading) the Necropastoral”
Sophfronia Scott, Reading
3:00 - 5:00
Chris Johnson, Founder & Principal, The Milkweed Group
"Nourishing the Courage to Create in Anguished Times"
3:00 - 4:00
Lauren Schmidt, Workshop
"'I Sing the Body Electric': Using Concrete Imagery to Write the Body"
Adrianne Finlay, Workshop
"Worldbuilding and Speculative Fiction"
Vince Gotera, Workshop
The Coolest Month: A NaPoWriMo and Poem-a-Day Workshop
Joseph Scapellato, Fiction Reading
from The Made-Up Man
4:15 - 5:15
Joyelle McSweeney, Reading
Georgian Lounge Porch
Adrianne Finlay, Reading
from Your One & Only
Joseph Scapellato, Craft Talk
"Finding Shape and Stepping Up: Practical Alternatives to Plotting"
7:30 - 8:30
"The River of Imagination"
Sunday April 21
7:30 - 10:30
8:00 - 5:00
Registration, Bookfair, Poster Exhibit, and Book Signings
8:45 - 9:55
- A1 North, South, East, West: Regionalism in American Poetry, Bartlett 2000
Kimberly Burwick (moderator), Kevin Goodan, Rachel Morgan
- A2 Writing Collaboratively: Why You Don’t Have to Go It Alone,* Bartlett 1060
Lucas Pingel, B.J. Love (moderator)
- A3 Critical Readings,* Bartlett 2089
Alexandra Bissell (moderator), “Writing Queer Immortality: The Poetry of Thom Gunn and the AIDS Archive”
Daniel Uncapher, “The Sentimental Ones: Hubert Creekmore and William Grant Still”
Frederic Will, "Labor and Writing"
N.T. McQueen, “Limitless Burden: Racial Definition and Parody in Percival Everett’s Erasure”
- A4 Fiction Reading, Bartlett 1079
Robert McBrearty, "Sarge and Hollings"
John Henry Fleming (moderator), "Xenophilia"
Nick Seifert, "Another Night of Recycling Cans"
- A5 Dialogue in Fiction,* Bartlett 34
Rod Martinez, "Dialogue: It Isn’t Just About Talk"
Jennifer Morales, "Hearing Voices"
Valerie Fioravanti (moderator), "Authentic Artifice"
- A6 Poetry Reading, Bartlett 1017
Stephen Haven, Rosa Lane, Owen Mordaunt, Peter Cooley (moderator)
- A7 Creative Nonfiction Reading,* Bartlett 3021
Martin McGoey, "American Bison"
Kevin Koch, "The Thin Places: A Celtic Landscape from Ireland to the Driftless"
Michael William Palmer (moderator), "Mormon Country, A-Z"
- A8 Animalia Poetica, Bartlett 81
Claire Millikin, "State Fair Animals"
Matthew Murrey (moderator), "Run Wild: Letting the Real and Imaginary Animals Loose in Poems"
Ann Struthers, "The Kindness of Crocodiles and Other Creatures"
- A9 The Craft of Narrative Prose,* Bartlett 2055
Jenny O’Connell (moderator), "Sing it Loud: Looking to Music for Lessons on Embracing Vulnerability on the Page"
Kelly Daniels, "'I'm Nobody! Who Are You?': On Writing Because You Love It"
Gordon Mennenga, “Writing Under the Influence”
- A10 The Cyclical Imagination: Writing Inter-Linked Stories,* Bartlett 1039
Tim Bascom (moderator), Rebecca McKanna, K.L. Cook
- A11 The Narrative Mode in Fiction,* Bartlett 2129
Jody Hobbs Hesler (moderator), "Narrative Tension: The Promises Writers Make"
Emily Wortman-Wunder, "Resonant Frequencies: On the Uses of Information in Fiction"
Laura Herbst, "The Sun Was a Woman: On Not Knowing What Comes Next in Fiction"
10:00 - 11:10
- B1 Repressed Voices: A Reading and Discussion of Poetry from Syria, Haiti, and China* Bartlett 2055
Elizabeth Dodd (moderator), Scott Minar, Stephen Haven
B2 The Resurgent Sonnet: A Roundtable, Bartlett 1000
Michael White, Aliki Barnstone, Allison Joseph
- B3 Creative Nonfiction Reading,* Bartlett 1060
Kathleen Blackburn, "Daughter Tongue"
Jean Feraca, "Caves: How Donald Hall’s poetry writing seminar changed my life"
Jason Harper (moderator), "A Murmuration of Starlings"
- B4 Writing Through History, History Through Writing,* Bartlett 3021
James Roberts, “The Eye of Polyphemus: Imaginative Fiction and Poetry in the NAR since 1900”
- B5 Publishing Worlds,* Bartlett 2129
Kathy Flann, "Something About a Frying Pan and a Fire: Why I Gave Up a Tenured Position and Launched a Publishing Imprint"
Ted Morrissey (moderator), "Writing Too Good to Publish"
Sayeeda Ahmad, "To Publish or Not to Publish"
- B6 What We Write About When We Write About Environment, Bartlett 81
K. L. Cook (moderator), Debra Marquart, Charissa Menefee, David Zimmerman
- B7 Forty Years On: The Evolution and Impact of Tributaries, a Student-Produced Journal of Creative Arts,* Bartlett 17
Tanya Perkins (moderator), Brian Brodeur, Melissa Blankenship
- B8 Image and Poetry, Poetry as Image,* Bartlett 2089
Naoko Fujimoto, “Graphic Poetry = Trans. Sensory”
Vince Gotera (moderator), “Word Pictures: Concrete Poetry and Carmina Figurata”
Penny Wang, "Abstractness: From Poetry in Logographic Text to Fatacism Abstract Art"
- B9 NAR Poets Read, Bartlett 1017
Rustin Larson (moderator)
Wyatt Townley, "Body as Poem"
Steve Wilson, "Lose to Find"
- B10 Fiction Reading,* Bartlett 34
Mary Louise Tabakow, “Stop the Music”
Laura Gabel-Hartman, “Moles, 2004”
Marcus A. Hennessy (moderator), “Bobby's Hair” & “The Need to Write”
- B11 Poetries of Unlikely Beauty,* Bartlett 1039
Seth Thill (moderator), “Masterpiece on the Mississippi: A Portrait of America’s Fourteenth Drunkest City”
Alberto Sveum, “Negotiating a Shared Space Between the Poetics of Joy and Black Metal”
Moriah Henkelman, "Wulff Mothers in Nineveh"
12:00 - 3:00
11:15 - 12:25
- C1 Slang in America: Twenty-First-Century Perspectives on Whitman’s 1885 Essay,* Bartlett 2055
Hannah Carr-Murphy (moderator), Seth Thill, Kathryn Wohlpart
C2 A Space for Dissent: A Roundtable,* Bartlett 34
Susan Porterfield (moderator), John Bradley, Ric Amequita, Bonnie Amesquita
- C3 Literary Magazines in Theory and Practice, Bartlett 1017
Travis Kurowski (moderator), "Theory of Literary Magazines"
Peter Cooley, "Editing Poetry for NAR, 1970-2000"
Alexander Luft, "Newspapers, Literary Magazines and the Disappearing Public"
- C4 Creating Creative Communities, * Bartlett 2129
Rosalind Buckton-Tucker, “The Cultural Psychology of Creativity and the Writing Retreat: A Case Study”
Wade Geary (moderator), “Alternative Models: Reimagining the Structure of an Introductory Creative Writing Course”
Robyn Groth, “Quality Writing Instruction in the Community”
Erin Robertson, “Coyote Collaboration: Communal Writing with Unsuspecting Strangers”
- C5 Writing Character in Fiction,* Bartlett 1039
Rod Martinez (moderator), "Character Kickstart 2.0"
Brandon Hallmark, "The Forgotten Queens"
- C6 Sighted: A Literary and Letterpress Collaboration, Bartlett 1129
James D’Agostino (moderator), Karen Carcia
C7 Poetry Reading,* Bartlett 1060
David Wolf, Phil Tabakow (moderator), Sujash Purna
- C8 A Fiction Reading by NAR Writers, Bartlett 2000
Warren Jones, Roderick Townley, Julia Lynn Rubin (moderator)
- C9 The Nature of Love in the Contemporary Lyric: Sensual and Spiritual Poems by Women,* Bartlett 2089
Patricia Clark (moderator), Alice Friman, Marilyn Kallet
- C10 A Deep Cut Through the Heartland: From the Bluff Country to the Delta, Vital Voices of Rural America, Bartlett 17
Elijah Burrell (moderator), Greg Brownderville, Keith Lesmeister, Angela Mitchell
- C11 On (Non)Fiction,* Bartlett 3021
Christiana Langenberg (moderator), "Transgenre Prose: the Permeable Boundary Between Fiction and Nonfiction"
Nina Barragan, “When Fiction Becomes Memory”
12:30 - 1:40
- Lunch Workshop: Scared Violent like Horses: Interrogating Landscape and Region to Write the Perfect Simile,* Bartlett 34
- Lunch Poetry Reading: The Coolest Month, Georgian Lounge Porch
- Lunch Reading: Fiction Reading, Bartlett 1017
Valerie Fioravanti (moderator)
Julianne Couch, "Turning Non-Fiction into Fiction Along the Sylvan Trail"
1:45 - 2:55
- D1 Ecological Visions of Modernist Poets,* Bartlett 2055
Jim O’Loughlin (moderator), Skye Rozario
- D2 Forms, Traditions, Sources,* Bartlett 17
Lee Bahan, “To Wrestle with the Angel: Periodicity in Petrarch’s 'Chapbook' of 1337”
Henry Finch (moderator), “Urmuz: An Obscured Source of Surrealism”
D3 Rethinking the Workshop, Revising the Curriculum, Bartlett 1017
Scott McMullen (moderator), “Content in Student Writing”
Autumn Stephens, “Against Pre-Scription: The Genuinely Generative Prompt”
Matthew Salesses, “There Is No Such Thing as ‘Pure’ Craft”
- D4 Fierce and Phenomenal Fiction: Multi-modal and Nonlinear Stories from ISU's “Write Like a Woman" course,* Bartlett 1039
Christiana Langenberg, Moderator
- D5 Gender and the Craft of Fiction,* Bartlett 2089
Trudy Lewis (moderator), “Gender Craft: Writing Diversity”
Timothy DeLizza, “Writing Embodied Women”
Alia Afzal, "Bridging Transnational Feminism and Ecofeminism"
- D6 Starting a Fire: Tinderbox Editions Reading, Bartlett 1000
Athena Kildegaard (moderator), Molly Sutton Kiefer, Katherine Rauk
- D7 Writing to Save Your Life: Hospice, Prison, and Spirituality,* Bartlett 34
Alan Harris, "Hospice Bed Conversations"
Ellen Taylor, "Writing From the Outside In"
Susan Baller-Shepard (moderator), “Saving the Soul of Your Character: Sussing Out Spiritual Lives, Religious Rituals, and the Practice of Darshan in Character Development”
D8 Writing and Healing,* Bartlett 2129
Jessica Love (moderator), “Mental Health Hygiene for Writing Instructors”
Laura McCullough, “Wellness & Emotional Literacy in the Writing Workshop”
D9 Midwest Poetry Reading, Bartlett 1079
Tiffany Grayson (moderator), "Homes of our Foremothers: Poems Mourning the Great Lakes"
Jim Johnson, "Ecopoetry"
Dylan Loring, “Famous in Canada, and other poems"
- D10 The Writing Life,* Bartlett 3021
Ralph Moisa, "Does Jesus Hate Indians / Indians Love to Laugh"
- D11 Teacher & Writer: Finding Reciprocity,* Bartlett 1060
Dana Thomann (moderator), Ashley Wells
3:00 - 4:10
- E1 Re-Viewing the Past: A Student-Faculty Reading of Creative Work Inspired by Early American Texts, Bartlett 81
Anne Myles (moderator), Dylan Haase, Alizée Millot, Natalie Peterson
- E2 Speculative Writing,* Bartlett 2089
Danielle Dunagan (moderator), "An Escalation of Senses: Speculative Memoir and the Manifestation of Memory"
Ariadne Wolf, "My Speculative Memoir"
Trudy Lewis, "Medusa’s Ball"
- E3 Heresy and Empowerment: Inside and Outside Writing Classes,* Bartlett 34
Michael Fischer (moderator), “From Big House to Ivory Tower: One Writer's Insights on the Road from Prison to Grad School”
Margaux Griffith and Jenna Bazzell, “Empowering Narrative in a Composition Classroom”
- E4 The Craft of Writing Place,* Bartlett 1039
John Morgan, “Moving to Fairbanks: On Writing and Place”
- E5 NAR Poets Read, Bartlett 1017
Elijah Burrell, "Troubler: A Rock Record of Form and Heartbreak"
Sandy Longhorn (moderator), "I (Re)Write the Songs"
- E6 Writing Healing,* Bartlett 1060
Kathryn Wohlpart (moderator), “The Bog is in Front of You”: Trauma Between Land and Body
Amy Nolan, “Searching for a Language that Heals: Writing from a Ruined Landscape”
- E7 Poetry Reading,* Bartlett 3021
Susan Porterfield (moderator), John Bradley, Ric Amesquita, Bonnie Amesquita
- E8 “'If I Knew Then What I Know Now': Becoming Editors,"* Bartlett 2129
Adrienne Lamberti, Vince Gotera, Jim O’Loughlin (moderator), Steve Semken
- E9 Faculty Writing Workshops: Creation, Engagement, and Kinship, Bartlett 17
Andrew Jones (moderator), Matt Muilenburg, Dale Easley
* denotes room outfitted with technology